By Apple (Apple Inc.)
Supported Devices :
05/01/2017 | Version : 8.2.1 | Size : 4.2 GB
Xcode 8.2.1 includes Swift 3, and SDKs for iOS 10.2, watchOS 3.1, tvOS 10.1, and macOS Sierra 10.12.2.
Xcode 8.2.1 fixes an issue where incorrect Swift version warnings were displayed
New in Xcode 8.2:
• Touch Bar gains new actions and can be customized
• Simulator installs an app by drag-and-drop onto the Simulator window
• Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
27/10/2016 | Version : 8.1 | Size : 4.2 GB
Xcode 8.1 includes Swift 3, and SDKs for iOS 10.1, watchOS 3.1, tvOS 10, and macOS Sierra 10.12.1.
Xcode 8.1 adds support for Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro:
• Touch Bar displays context-specific buttons when in the Xcode editor, commit sheet, navigator, and Interface Builder
• Debug button in the Control Strip lets you pause and inspect your app while Xcode is in the background
• Interface Builder button updates the frames of selected objects and their children
• Classes in Interface Builder make it easy to add Touch Bar features to your Mac apps
• Touch Bar simulator works on any Mac so you can see how your app works with the Touch Bar
13/09/2016 | Version : 8.0 | Size : 4.1 GB
Xcode 8 includes Swift 3, and SDKs for iOS 10, watchOS 3, tvOS 10, and macOS Sierra.
New in Xcode 8:
• Editor generates docs, highlights current line, supports color and image literals in .swift files, and completes image names
• App extensions enable third parties to add new capabilities to the source editor
• Code signing can be managed automatically or using custom settings
• Runtime issues show alerts to identify leaks, UI alignment problems, or race conditions using the thread sanitizer
• Memory debugger visualizes and navigates the map of relationships among your data and objects at runtime
• Interface Builder gives you pixel-perfect control and preview for each target device, and can edit at all zoom levels
• San Francisco Mono default coding font and new dark Civic theme
• Documentation viewer searches a unified reference library using fuzzy matching, available even when offline
• Accessibility improvements within Interface Builder and throughout the IDE
• Build Siri extensions, iMessage apps, and sticker packs for Messages in iOS 10
New in Swift 3:
• Swift-enhanced API for Grand Central Dispatch and Core Graphics
• Uniform API style across all of Swift 3, including frameworks in the platform SDKs
• Playgrounds support for open source toolchains from Swift.org
• Xcode migrators help move your existing Swift code to Swift 3
• Swift 2.3 aids the transition to Swift 3 while providing access to the latest SDKs
Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Swift programming language make developing apps easier and more fun than ever before.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, simulators, the latest SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is a revolutionary programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• Playgrounds are a fun way to experiment and interact with Swift code
• Interface Builder displays pixel-perfect UI for each target device and can edit at any zoom level
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Assistant editors show content related to your primary task
• Live Issues display errors as you type, and Fix-its can correct mistakes for you
Swift is a powerful, modern, and fun programming language
• Safe by design, Swift syntax and features prevent entire categories of bugs
• Fast code execution and compile time are powered by the proven LLVM compiler
• Modern language features are inspired by leading research, including:
- Closures unified with function pointers
- Tuples and multiple return values
- Structs as value types that support methods, extensions, protocols
- Powerful protocols that can extend functionality throughout your codebase
- Functional programming patterns including map and filter
Interface Builder makes it easy to design your interface without code
• Storyboards let you arrange the complete flow of screens within your app
• See your custom controls rendered live within the design canvas
• Customize your interface for different devices, screen sizes, and orientations
• StackViews make it easy to reason about the layout of each section of your interface
• Create connections from your GUI design directly to the related source code
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Hit a few keys and Open Quickly will instantly open any file within your project
• Message bubbles show errors, warnings, and other issues right beside your code
• Data tips show a variable's value by hovering your mouse over the code
• Quick Look variables while debugging to see the actual color, bezier path, image, and more
• Third party app extensions can add new capabilities to the source editor
Test driven development is built right in
• Use the Test Navigator to add, edit, or run unit tests or user interface tests with just a click
• Test Assistant makes it easy to edit your code and related tests, side-by-side
• Create continuous integration bots using macOS Server to automatically build and test your apps
• Monitor performance and user interface test data using macOS Server to immediately spot regressions
• Analyzer travels countless code paths looking for logical errors before they become bugs
Instruments makes performance analysis beautiful
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and OpenGL performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Monitor your app directly, or sample the entire system, with very little overhead
To test or deploy applications on an iOS device, Apple TV, or on Apple Watch all you need is a free Apple ID. To submit your apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Apple Developer Program. Continuous integration features require a current version of macOS Server. Some features may require Internet access.
: Top Free Mac Applications
: Top Free Mac Applications [Developer Tools]
Screenshots Mac OSX :
Comments and Ratings for Xcode
Install leading to grey screen and reboot (8.2.1)
2/5 By Not the one and only fan.
I’m trying to install this version on 2011 iMac with Sierra onto 20GB of free space on a solid state drive.
As the progress bar approaches the end of the install, the screen goes grey and the mac reboots without xcode being installed.
There’s no feedback, no prompt to steer me in the right direction.
What a mess!
how much space?? (8.2.1)
1/5 By RomanMorgan
trying to download & install this to fix an app, i have 14gig of free space, but still says not enough disk space to install, the size of the download listed on the download page is 4.55gig, so how much free space is actually required to install this?? - apple you gotta do better then this!
How much space you need?? (8.2)
1/5 By mooktakim
Its really annoying every time there’s an update we have to make space for this. Why isn’t there a diff???
12gb? 15gb? How much do we actually need? no idea!!
It’s a joke right? (8.2)
1/5 By mikin1
1. your session has expired please log in.
2. login with a correct password nothing happens => goes back to the point 1.
Love hate (8.2)
5/5 By Andrewthebaconlover
I both love and hate XCode, all at the same time.
Bug-ridden mess (8.1)
1/5 By Michael Park
Maybe Apple should spend some time reviewing their own apps instead of others? Bugs galore.
1/5 By Dnmurphy
I am trying to get the latest version of Xcode, mine is slightly out of date. No sign of an update facility and tryng to download this off the app store it just doesn’t work, does nothing. It used to be possible to download off the website that worked, but now they seem to have stopped this. This seems to be a long term problem so it’s about time Apple got off their collective backsides and soirted this out
Terrible from Apple right now (8.1)
1/5 By DuporthDelight
Apple is just going down hill for developers - and fast. Nothing, and I mean nothing, seems to work anymore. Nothing is easy - just to download XCode 8.1 was painful. OS Sierra caused so many more problems than I know, or anyone else knows, to fix. Apple going off a cliff for fancy “touch bar” nonsense - no decent ideas anymore.
cannot install the app (8.1)
1/5 By digeso88
I’m trying to install it on Mac El Capitan, but I can’t as nothing happens after I agree to the Terms and Conditions.
I’ve rebooted my Mac twice, but still I cannot install it.
The most important Apps of All.Excellent and Valuable. (8.1)
5/5 By Ekong
I can’t work without this App,its really useful and its the core of my creation.A big thank you to all of you who is part of this group
1/5 By Runza
Not only has the auto layut ruined my app but they also reviewed it and passed it. Absolute shambles on apples part.
1/5 By Svetr35
If you have not finished project in Xcode 7…. Do not update!!!
Apple, improve your downloading! (8.0)
3/5 By Trevor Rowe
This download is 4.43GB and other people have noted that this does not support pressing Pause, it just starts again - please fix this. I experienced this automatically restarting the whole thing again after around 4 gig - what’s going on!
Also, this took ages sitting at ‘Waiting’ state before it even started - i’m guessing apple need to increase their bandwidth as Sierra was also release recently, but really, it’s not very good that we have to go thru this nonsense every major release (let alone the betas!)
Could not find Developer Disk Image!!!! AGAIN!!! (8.0)
1/5 By estupendoman
can test my app on my phone every time there is a new version sierra, captain and posibly the next one is everest in a few weeks. STOP cant spend all my time upgrading!!!!! some people need to work!!!!!!
Want PlugIns back (8.0)
1/5 By cyr250
DO NOT update, DO NOT lose your plugins
std::future platform requirement (8.0)
2/5 By Ian@Jagex
Using Xcode 7 we had an implementation of a threading pool, using std::future. Our target environment was 10.7 and everything was fine. I alone upgraded to Xcode 8 and all of a sudden, std::future is no longer supported unless you upgrade the target environment to 10.8, which according to the compile error, was when it was introduced. This is clearly a lie.
NOT WORKING!!! (8.0)
1/5 By Soccer's great
I had a proper working app and now thanks to this update i got 300 errors which includes comments!!!!! i restarted my computer and still it gets error on comments?!!??!?!! please fix this
Interface builder changes not saving (8.0)
1/5 By Supertecnoboff
Upgraded to Xcode 8 and now, any change I make in interface builder doesnt appear when I am testing the app on my iPhone (or the iOS simulator). Please fix this issue.
Good but has problems that slow productivity (7.3.1)
4/5 By Norders
I've never really had a problem with Xcode or its upgrade process, and by and large the functionality works well.
However there are two things that used to work very well that seem to be permanently broken now.
1. Code sense / code completion. In Xcode 6 and earlier it was great - it knew what I wanted every time. Now it over-suggests irrevelant data and it doesn't index newly added code until some unspecified event occurs (or so it seems). The new 'match any letters in the right order' mechanism might have seemed like a good idea, but programmers don't type like that.
2. Code refactoring. Renaming of methods and properties just plain does not work most of the time. Eclipse puts Xcode to shame with this feature.
I'm sure a thousand bugs have been raised against these issues. Apple, please fix them - they are affecting the productivity of developers!
Why can’t apple sort out the updating problems? (7.3.1)
1/5 By Jimbojones1000
Xcode works great, but then you’ll need to update it, you’ll dread it, but devices will update and you will need a current version of Xcode to develop for them, so you’ll be forced to update, and what will happen, well in my experience 1 in 3 times you’ll spend a couple of hours trying to make it work, it’ll sit there at 0% or paused, i clicked update to 7.1 about a month ago, i left it there in the lauchpad thing wondering if it would ever start, month later and 9.2 ios came out i had to get Xcode 7.1 and had it started? Nope, i had to completely clean Xcode from my system and restart before i could get the update. SORT IT OUT. why not just provide a disk image with it on the developer site if you cant get it to work with app store?
A further update to my review, ive had to update again, guess what it doesnt work. Apple dont care though do they, its a complete pile of……..
Let’s start calling it downgrades…... (7.3.1)
1/5 By mikin1
- It started consuming huge CPU (now more then eclipse vow….)
- Searching now takes ages
- search in project files navigator keeps disappearing (e.g. it refreshes every file save suddenly saying “no match” only to find match again when retyping the term)
- syntax colouring and code completion functionality is disappearing in .mm files
- git integration has become weird (e.g. it cannot properly cope with renamed files, etc….)
And yes as somebody before me said: “IDE is a complex piece of sw" but so is aircraft navigation and landing control which is, thanks God, not written with a mad push for money from superficialy better new HW sales based on “upgraded OS”.
Just go for a pint lads before you blow it completely:)
Best tool for Dev (7.3.1)
4/5 By Sharukhkajal1000ddlj
I have worked on many IDE’s , XCode is light years ahead of other IDE’s.
Thanks Apple for such a great tool.
Bloody frustrating - no disk space error - you need 15GB NOT 3GB for this to install! (7.3.1)
1/5 By Hypermaniak
My title says it all. So annoying.
Install Failed After 4GB Download - So OSX Deletec Download Files ?? (7.3.1)
1/5 By Blewyn
Just downloaded XCode - 4GB of data - at the local internet cafe. Install failed with 12 GB free……When I came to restart the install after clearing more space, OSX had DELETED the 4GB of files previously downloaded !! Hey Apple not all of us live on a flying saucer at the heart of the internet !! The one star is for discarding my 4GB of install files without asking if I wanted to save them…..
Fantastic Software just very poorly executed (7.3.1)
2/5 By One swaggy guy
Firstly, the update doesn’t even work, there are countless compiler errors, it always crashes etc, the list could go on. It really wouldnt take much for such a large company like apple to improve this, you’d think it’d be in their best interests since a large chunk of their revenue comes from app devs.
Instability is becoming unmanageable (7.3.1)
1/5 By Lemmings71
I’ve tried so hard not to write this review. An IDE is a huge complicated piece of software, and a trade off must be made of spending time on stability vs new features to improve developer productivity. However Xcode has got to the point where it is costing me huge amounts of time each day. Each release becomes less stable and I am now at the point where our project is sufficiently complex enough that I have to use 2 IDE’s Xcode for simply running/debugging and AppCode for writing the software.
I am dreading having to upgrade to Xcode 8 for iOS 10 and long for the olden days of Xcode 3 with seperate interface builder, sure it was under featured but it did not cost me any where near as much time as the later versions have. Please please please Apple give us stable developer tools to work with, or better yet assign some guys over to JetBrains and let AppCode become the official Apple IDE. We didm’t need another language we needed another IDE!
1/5 By Anique123
how much space do you need?!!!!!
Will not install (7.3.1)
1/5 By thisdeveloper
Latest OSX it simply will not install.
Waiting an hour for it to re-install (7.3.1)
1/5 By Beanstalk99
Since 7.3 came out, in my experience, it’s been NOTHING but trouble. Changes in Swift are understandable for the sake of progress, but the bugs and glitches introduced make no sense. I’ve lost audio in Playgrounds and all simulators which has led me to try a reinstall. Aside from taking the best part of an hour to fully (I hope) uninstall, I’ve been waiting for over 45 minutes for the re-install and have no idea if it’s even progressing…
I’m not usually a complainer, but this richly deserves yet another a grumpy bad review while I stare at the ‘Installing’ icon!
Yet another completely lost day’s work with 7.3.1.
One star but ‘Nul Points’. Bring on the next update!!
1/5 By Miss Frodi
My first experience with my new Mac and it was awful - i’ve spent a few days trying to install this and nothing has worked. In the end i’ve had to download an older version. Not the experience i’m used to with Apple, it’s tarnished my opinion somewhat!
From this dev.
Price : Free
Platform : iPhone/iPad
Price : £9.99
Platform : iPhone/iPad
Price : £9.99
Platform : iPhone/iPad
Price : £10.49
Platform : Mac OS
Price : £139.99
Platform : Mac OS
Chess HD Free
Price : Free
Price : Free
Price : Free
TriPeaks Solitaire Classic
Price : Free
Price : Free